In spring 2019 I had the opportunity to accompany a group of students from the school I worked in to Nanjing, China for two weeks of language study. It was a fantastic experience and I will never forget it. One of many highlights was several trips to the local fabric market, Bububu.
One of the many fabrics I brought back was 2 meters of a lovely silk charmeuse, navy with bright big flowers in red and pink. It took a while to find out what to make from it, but finally I decided to make a simple dress. The pattern I used is for a top, but it’s a simple hack to lengten it to knee length and add a tie belt. It couldn’t be any easier.
The pattern is a true and tested favorite in my collection, the Elisabeth top. I have made it in several versions as tank tops and short/long sleeved tops. It has infinite hacking possibilities. The fabric behaved reasonably well, and the dress came together quickly. I used bias tape instead of facings. One regret is that I rushed it and used my overlocker to finish the edges. That’s really never a good idea with delicate fabrics, and I really wish I had used traditional french seams instead. Because it is so light I wear it with a slip under for work or when it is a little chilly, and for the really hot days – yes, we do have some of them – it is a lifesaver. It works great with some sort of duster over as well.
This is one of my favorite dresses and it will always remind me of that very special trip.
Pattern: Elisabeth from Mönsterfabriken.
Disclaimer: I received the pattern for free without any obligations to post about it.